
I realized this week that I've been underestimating my kids. I also realized that Heavenly Father truly did save the strongest spirits for these last days. Have any of you been underestimating your children? or is it just me? Jason decided we should set a family goal to read The Book of Mormon (individually). He asked everyone to start in January and then we'd finish by June. I half-heartedly agreed with his challenge, but didn't really think the boys would do it. Enter in my underestimation of the amazing children on the earth these days. Not only did the boys agree, but they actually did it. You can imagine my amazement at walking into there room each night to turn off the light and finding them studying the scriptures. I couldn't believe it. Why have i been so slow to recognize the opportunity to set the bar higher in our young children? Cole came to us last week and announced that he had finished, he had read The Book of Mormon and loved it. He also told us that he particularly liked Moroni chapters 9 and 10. Ren is almost done with Helaman and about to start on third Nephi. We've always studied the scriptures as a family, but what a difference it has made to study individually. I ignorantly assumed that they were to young to read it, let alone understand what was being said. But let me tell you that is not true. Ren came to us a month ago and said whenever he used to try and read the Book of Mormon before he didn't really understand it, but this time, the spirit helped him comprehend it. He not only understood it, but he said he actually enjoyed reading it, it's exciting-he says(especially Alma).I think Jason was inspired to issue this challenge. It's made me want to study more. The spirit of our home has changed. Our kids come to us more frequently with spiritual comments or questions. And my faith and the faith of my children has grown. I truly believe Heavenly Father knows our kids are going to need all the strength they can get to make it through this world and He is pouring out His spirit now,enlightening our children's minds and strengthening their spirits. So, I've decided never to underestimate my kids again. We talk openly now about spiritual matters that i previously assumed they wouldn't understand. Instead of challenging our boys to read The Book of Mormon once before their missions we've asked them to read it 20 times before their missions. Jason and I bear our testimonies more frequently now and our boys share theirs more freely. In short, this challenge, that I half-heartedly agreed to, has been one the best experiences that our family has ever had. I'm sure most of my friends have already experienced this in their own families and I'm just a slow learner, but if you haven't, i hope you'll give it a try.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
SETTING THE BAR A LITTLE HIGHER
Posted by porterjule at 5:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Holy Cow! That was a an awesome post. I could totally feel the Spirit when you talked about this. Thank you so much for sharing. I dub thee the spiritual Blog Queen. I will still continue to just complain in mine and come to yours to repent k.
P.S.
Love your new pic's
Emily Childers here~
I stumbled on your blog today and I'm so glad I did! What a great example your family is to me--
Your kids are awesome: )
Great Job! That is really inspiring. Maybe after the move...
Julie, you are amazing! I was just thinking the other day that I'm too hard on my kids because I make them do their homework after school - but after reading your post, I know my kids can do a whole lot more!
Post a Comment